Food play... what's coming up where I let you know that I had discovered rice syrup and was looking forward to, well, playing with it. And play indeed I have.
Here's what I said about it recently,
With no fructose and just 3% glucose, it's looking like a good option. The other 97% is made up of complex carbohydrates, which means it's absorbed much more slowly in to the bloodstream, so doesn't raise the blood sugar levels in the same way as pure glucose. Again, a great substitute for condensed milk, golden syrup, and maple syrup. Tastier and sweeter than glucose syrup, it will be great on your pancakes and cereal, and even your toast if you like.
I've used it in muesli bars, lemon cream pots, chocolate pudding, homemade hot chocolate and chocolate sauce. Oh and I... umm... drizzle it on my weetbix every morning. If I was a pancake girl I'd be drizzling it on them too. It's an absolute star - first equal favourite (with glucose powder) as a sugar alternative. I can't see I'll be living without it.
So first up on the list of delectable things that can be done with rice syrup is chocolate sauce.
When I was growing up chocolate sauce was that thing that got made in the evenings when you just fancied a little something and hadn't made any other plans (or puddings). Weirdly, perhaps, it often got poured over a few spoonfuls of oats and, to be honest, I don't remember any other accompaniments. Nowadays I still love it with oats (it's totally not weird), and always banana, and if there's cream in the house I can never go past that. But enough of my secrets.
I introduced the chocolate sauce tradition to Kent when we were married and we had it on occasion. I think he thought we were a bit crazy having it as the main event, rather than just drizzled over ice cream or something. And he really found it just too sweet. It is too, you could feel the sweetness almost sting the back of your throat. And now I have found the solution. Rice syrup instead of sugar brings a gentle sweetness and really hits the spot (in a good way). Kent would have loved it.
The recipe below is based on Mum's one with obvious changes. I really recommend you change it around if you like, change the amounts of syrup or cocoa to suit your tastes. I admit I really only add butter because it was in the original recipe (and everything is better with butter in it) but I am sure you could get away with leaving it out. Omitting the butter and using a non-dairy milk will make it friendly for many too. Have a play.
4 tablespoons rice syrup
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup milk
Put rice syrup in a pot on the stove and warm, mixing in the cocoa powder as it starts to warm.
Add butter and milk and stir until simmering.
PS - I must say, I do love it with icecream too! Serve with whatever you fancy.
|Rice syrup - the star of the show.|
*Bloggers live for comments. I'd love to hear from you. If you don't want to comment, please click on one of the reaction buttons in the footer below. I'd love to get your response and know you're reading me.*